Thursday, August 28, 2014

College: Go.

Starting this college journey has been one of the most strange, sad, and exciting parts of my whole life.

I mean, how could it not be. I just trekked my way across 500 miles away from everything that was comfortable, everything that I was used to, and all the people that I had grown accustomed to seeing on a daily basis.

And now I am here in Seward, Nebraska (or the Nebraskaland as I usually call it). I am sitting in a college classroom waiting for class to start and still trying to get into the swing of this whole "homework is a full time job" thing. I have been furiously typing more notes than ever before in my life, and I am realizing that all that extra stuff that my teachers made me do to prepare me for this moment at the end of my senior year was worth it.

I am also learning that there are more important things in life than grades, and that even though my whole reason for being here is to get the grades and learn as much as I can, I am understanding more and more fully what it means to be a follower of Christ.

I remember distinctly my moment of faith on my way to college (although it was only a few days ago), it was a bit along these lines:

My life is changing.
It will never be quite the same as it was this summer.
All the previous relationships I had (save a few) are completely different, and I am about to be tossed into a feeding frenzy of first impressions and friend-making.
I am not as ready as I thought I would be.
But.
He is constant.
He knows what He is doing.
I can trust Him. 

You see, there are a lot of new and challenging opportunities that start the moment you step out of your car onto campus. And a lot of times, in the space of that one step, faiths are completely and radically altered. It was (and continually is) my prayer that He would shape me to be a beacon of His light to all those I come into contact with. 

First impressions. 
Let His light shine through. 
New situations. 
Let His light shine through my actions.
I am "on my own".
Let His light guide us all through the difficulties.
We have a new home here.
Let His light guide us back to our true home.

Onwards.

1 comment: